With all the hoopla surrounding the One Word movement, you may have already chosen your word for the new year, but are left wondering, “Okay…now what?!?” It simply isn’t enough just to choose a word (although that’s the first step and shouldn’t be taken lightly). It definitely requires some time and soul-searching to choose the perfect word. But, once you’ve made the choice, you really need to do something with your word. Here are some practical (and fun!) ideas to get you started:
- Be a blabbermouth. Tell people about your word, why you chose it, and what you’re doing to live it out! You will not only hold yourself accountable, but motivate and inspire others to join the movement as well.
- Display your word…in multiple places. On your bathroom mirror. On the fridge. In a frame on your desk. In your car. Wherever you’ll see it. You need your word to be in your face. Use your creativity…
- Wear your word: In the past, I’ve been able to find bracelets, necklaces, and rings with my one word. You can even customize yours. This is such a fun way to proudly proclaim your word!
- Create a vision board around your word. Cut out/print out inspiring images to go with your word. Here’s one of my 2019 Vision Boards–not centered around my one word–but an example of a board nonetheless. I just copied and pasted images from the Internet (and a real photo in the middle), printed them out, and glued them down on scrapbook paper. So! Much! Fun! And SOOOO powerful (more to follow on that in a future post…)
- Do a word study. Use a thesaurus and find synonyms/antonyms for your word. You may even want to post it on your vision board.
- Find quotes and Scriptures relating to your word. Write them on index cards and read them every morning. Try to memorize a few…it’s amazing how you will be able to recall them exactly when you need to!
- Take Action. In the morning, identify one way you can apply your word for the day (one baby step)…and ask for help! Share your idea with an accountability partner and then check in with him/her. This helps create good habits; the habit of intentionally living out your word on a daily basis. Small successes…
- Reflect. At the end of the day, journal and reflect upon how you lived (or didn’t live) your word out for the day/week. Practice gratitude, thanking God for the strength, perseverance, and self-control (or whatever!) to live it out. Ask for help with the things you need to change in order to do better next time.
- Reread your journals. It’s so important to go back and re-read your journal entries to see how far you’ve come, especially when you’re feeling down and ready to give up on your word. Keep in mind: this is about progress, not perfection!
- Celebrate your progress. Mini-celebrations are crucial for progress and perseverance. As you reach goals you’ve set, or notice a changed habit or heart attitude, reward or pamper yourself: a massage, bubble bath, new outfit, time alone (a movie & popcorn is my personal favorite!)
Do you have something to add? Is there anything you’ve personally done to go deeper with your One Word? Please share your ideas in the comments section below!